Former Elk Grove Village trustee candidate and Laborers Local 6 Union President Jeff Ziemann was taken into custody and charged with battery at 8:10 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 14, Elk Grove Village police said.
A woman claiming to be the victim of the alleged battery contacted the Journal saying she went went home with Ziemann for drinks after the two met at Coach’s Corner, a bar in Elk Grove Village.
The woman said Ziemann, 60, of 31 Kenilworth Ln., Elk Grove Village, struck her in the face and other parts of her body. She said she escaped to a neighbor’s home, running out of the house in the cold wearing a robe and no shoes. She said she underwent an MRI to examine injuries to her face.
Elk Grove Village police confirmed Ziemann was charged with battery on Jan. 14, but said they could not release the full police report as it remains under investigation. His court date is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 18 at the Cook County Courthouse in Rolling Meadows.
Calls to Ziemann were not immediately returned Wednesday morning before press deadlines.
Ziemann was also was charged with two counts of obstructing and resisting a peace officer related to an alleged domestic disturbance Dec. 3 at a restaurant in the 1700 block of Algonquin Road, Mount Prospect.
Mayor Craig Johnson said Ziemann contacted village hall looking for Johnson (who was at the Bahamas Bowl last month), telling village staffers he was upset that Kitty Vanderweel Weiner had reposted an Elk Grove Journal story on Facebook on the December charges. Johnson and Vanderweel Weiner are longtime political allies.
Johnson said Ziemann threatened to hire someone to “spend 24-hours a day” on Facebook monitoring and posting about Vanderweel Weiner and Johnson in response to her reposting the December story.
In a Monday, Jan. 20 post on Facebook by Vanderweel Weiner in which she detailed the messages confirmed by Johnson, she said, “Well, the community saw just that yesterday with both a robo call and website devoted to myself and my involvement in the community. I do not take kindly to threats, Mr. Ziemann, nor will I back away from a fight.”
Ziemann has repeatedly and strongly denied any involvement with robo calls or mailers, which have bombarded village phones and mailboxes since August, sometimes on a weekly basis from anonymous groups. Last week’s robo call did not list a sponsoring group.Support local news by subscribing to the Journal & Topics in print or online.